Kumasi Academy also known as KUMACA is a public, senior high school located in Asokore-Mampong, a suburb of Kumasi, in the Ashanti Region of Ghana. Asokore-Mampong is about 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) from the central business district of Kumasi off the Kumasi Airport-Aboabo Road.
Kumasi Academy is a public senior high school located in Asokore-Mampong in the Ashanti Region of Ghana. Founded in 1957 by the American Baptist Missionary Union, Kumasi Academy was first named as the Sadler Baptist School. The missionaries acquired a plot of land from the chiefs and people of Asokore-Mampong in 1954.
In 1956, a middle school and a seminary school were established on the plot of land. A secondary school was added to the middle school and the seminary by Rev. Poe that same year. He named it Sadler Baptist College after one year of the missionaries in 1957. Rev. Poe, who established the secondary school, became the first headmaster of Sadler Baptist School.
In 1960, the seminary was moved from Asokore-Mampong to Abuakwa, leaving the secondary school at its present location, Asokore-Mampong. Poe was later succeeded by Madam Nadine Lovan, another white missionary, as the head of the Sadler Baptist School. The school has since become one of the most popular schools in Ghana because of the Baptist missionaries’ strict adherence to discipline.
Later, the then government wanted to have a say in the administration and running of the school. The Baptist Mission was not the type that would take kindly to that policy and was not prepared to acquiesce in this interference since it believed in the complete separation between religion and government. In circumstances, the Mission found it more expedient to leave the scene and handed over the school to the government on two conditions, viz, that the name “Sadler Baptist” be changed and that the teaching of religion in the school should be in the hands of the Baptist Mission. The government accepted this offer and “Sadler Baptist Secondary School” was eventually phased out.
Asokore Mampong in Asokore Mampong district of ASHANTI Region
Kumasi Academy Anthem
Kumasi Academy started as a Middle School/Seminary in 1956 after a group of American Baptist Missionaries had acquired land for that purpose at Asokore Mampong in 1954.
The Secondary School started in 1957 with the name Sadler Baptist School.
In 1964 the name of the school was changed to Asokore Mampong Secondary School and later in 1966 it was renamed Kumasi Academy.
Kumasi Academy Programmes and Course
The school offers these following programmes
New pupils are admitted in September every year through a computerized system under the control of the Ghana Education Service. The system works based on the results of an entry examination known as the Basic Education Certificate Examination (B.E.C.E). This examination is held for junior high schools at various centres throughout the country. Entry Forms for the above examination are obtained from the West African Examination Council (W.A.E.C) through the headteachers of the respective junior high schools within the country. Once the computerised selection process is completed, the list of admitted students are made available by the Ghana Education Service to the school. The list is then made public through the school’s notice board.
An opportunity is given to foreign nationals wish to apply for admission into the school through a written entrance examination organised by the school.
After a student gains admission, he is given the school's official prospectus. This book helps new students about the school and all that is required of them.