Mfantsipim is an all-boys boarding secondary school in Cape Coast , Ghana, established by the Methodist Church in 1876 to foster intellectual, moral, and spiritual growth on the then Gold Coast.
Its founding name was Wesleyan High School and the first headmaster was James Picot, a French scholar, who was only 18 years old on his appointment.
Cape Coast in Cape Coast Metro district of CENTRAL Region
Mfantsipim School Anthem
Winners of the 1999 and 2014 editions of the National Science and Maths Quiz
Winners of 2011,2012,2013,2015 and 2018 Sprite Ball Championship
The idea of establishing a collegiate school to raise educational standards in the Gold Coast was first mooted in 1865 but was not realized until 1876 when the Wesleyan High School was established in Cape Coast with donations from local businessmen and the support of the Methodist Missionary Society in London.
The school was established to train teachers and began with 17 pupils. It was originally planned to be sited in Accra because the British Government had, by 1870, decided to move the capital of the Gold Coast from Cape Coast to Accra. However, local agitation and the urgent need to put the idea into practice after eleven years of debate pressurised the government to allow the school to begin functioning, but on the understanding that it would later be moved to Accra, though no such move ever took place.
The founding name of Mfantsipim was Wesleyan High School and it was established on 3 April 1876. In 1905 a graduate of the school, [John Mensah Sarbah], founded a rival school named Mfantsipim; the name derives from "Mfantsefo-apem", literally meaning "thousands of Fantes " but actually meaning "the gathering of hosts of scholars for change" originally by the Fantes. In July of the same year, the two schools were merged under the control of the Methodist Church, keeping the name Mfantsipim. John Mensah-Sarbah, who came up with the name "Mfantsipim" stated at the opening of the school that its aim was "to train up God-fearing, respectable and intelligent lads."
Mfantsipim School Programmes and Course
The school offers these following programmes
New pupils are admitted in September every year through a computerized system under the control of the Ghana Education Service. The system works based on the results of an entry examination known as the Basic Education Certificate Examination (B.E.C.E). This examination is held for junior high schools at various centres throughout the country. Entry Forms for the above examination are obtained from the West African Examination Council (W.A.E.C) through the headteachers of the respective junior high schools within the country. Once the computerised selection process is completed, the list of admitted students are made available by the Ghana Education Service to the school. The list is then made public through the school’s notice board.
An opportunity is given to foreign nationals wish to apply for admission into the school through a written entrance examination organised by the school.
After a student gains admission, he is given the school's official prospectus. This book helps new students about the school and all that is required of them.
Balmer-Acquaah house is the first house seen from the school's main entrance. It was named after Rev. W. T. Balmer, headmaster from 1907 to 1910, and Robert Gaddiel Acquaah, the first black presiding bishop of the Methodist Church. It was the first house to be built.
Pickard-Parker is located right after Balmer-Acquaah, and is a long rectangular-square structure of two storeys.
Lockhart-Schweitzer is the third house seen from the entrance, and is on the left. It is not too big and shares similarities with Sarbah-Picot. L.S is noted for hosting the Berlin Wall , a section of the tall wall around the school that has lots of histories.
Abruquah-Monney is the latest and biggest house in the school, completed around 2010. Unlike all the other houses, it separates itself completely — stretches near the Blighters' Gate.
Freeman-Aggrey also shares similarities with Balmer-Acquah, the underneath of both serving as a passage for vehicles entering the school. It was named after Dr. James Kwegyir Aggrey and Rev. Thomas Birch Freeman , also a priest of the Methodist Church.
Bartels-Sneath is the sixth house on location from the gate.
Sarbah-Picot has a similar architectural style to Lockhart-Schweitzer. It was named after John Mensah-Sarbah and James Picot, the first headmaster of the school. This is a twin house of Freeman-Aggrey.